The connection with the Exact Online accounting package is an in-depth integration. Just as is the case with Octopus, both payment data and contacts are synchronized between Teamleader and Exact.
The connection with Exact Online exports invoices and credit notes from Teamleader to Exact Online, so that the bookkeeping can be done there. With that purpose in mind, the customers linked to these invoices are first exported to Exact. If an invoice is reconciled in Exact Online, this is set as 'paid' in Teamleader. You manage ledger accounts in Exact Online, and for each synchronization they are retrieved from there.
Depending on your situation, you must follow one of the following 3 steps:
A. My Exact account is empty (and my Teamleader account is or is not empty)
If your Exact account does not contain any data yet, we must first set a few things:
• We must create fiscal years (period/date table).
• We must create a journal for invoices.
• We must create a journal for credit notes (different from the invoice journal).
• We must define ledger accounts.
All these things can be found by clicking on your company name at the top right and selecting "Master data". You can find the settings under the "Financial" section. We go into further detail on creating a journal below.
The journals must be of the type "Sales"; Teamleader can only save documents to this type of journal. When creating a journal, you must also enter a ledger account. Connect this account with a revenue account.
All revenue accounts are loaded with each synchronization from Exact into Teamleader. Therefore, you are managing accounts from within Exact. If you do not use the accounts, you can just create a default account and use this account for all invoice lines.
B. My Teamleader account is empty and my Exact account contains my customer database
While making the connection, you can very quickly and easily import your customer database into Teamleader by selecting the "Import companies from Octopus" slider!
C. Both my Teamleader account and my Exact account contain my customer database
If you have a customer database in both Exact and Teamleader, the import is somewhat more complex. To prevent creating double entries of companies in Exact, all companies must first be imported into Teamleader. This is done by importing through the "Import companies from Exact Online" slider with regard to the connection.
After importing, it is likely that many customers will have been duplicated in Teamleader. It is best to turn on the "Accounting package customer number" column in your Teamleader account so that you can see which customers have an Exact ID and which do not. This column is also available for the invoices.
You can now merge the double entries manually or automatically in Teamleader:
Manually: enter the name of a company and if there are 2 results, select Actions -> Merge. You can also choose to merge through the details page of a company (under the small arrow at the top). Teamleader will automatically merge all fields, including the customer number. If there is a conflict, you will be given the option of selecting 1 of the 2 values.
If there are more than 50 duplicate records or so, it is often worth the trouble to merge automatically using the following (more complex) method:
You can use the merging mechanism built into our CSV import to merge the companies automatically and then merging the remaining companies (of which the name, for example, differs slightly) manually. Achieve this by following the following steps:
- Create a segment that contains all of the companies that you just imported. All companies that were imported have automatically been given a “Exact Online Import" tag so it is better to create a segment with the rule "Tags contain Exact Online Import".
- Export this segment to Excel.
- In Teamleader, perform the bulk action "Delete" on this segment: this will again delete all companies.
- Delete the unnecessary columns from the file to avoid any older data from Exact overwriting newer data from Teamleader. The necessary columns are name and accounting package customer number and we strongly advise importing the VAT number as well.
- You can save the Excel file as a CSV file and import it through our CSV import tool. Therefore, only the Name, Accounting package customer number and VAT number fields are necessary.
- If Teamleader asks for a criterion for merging, you can do this on the basis of name (if the name rarely differs) or on the basis of a VAT number (if most of the VAT numbers are entered). You can try different criteria and see how many new companies will be added through the preview function. We want this number to be as low as possible.
- Import the data.
- All edited companies are companies that have now been given the correct customer number.
- All added companies are companies that could not be matched. You will have to go through these manually and merge them, as we described earlier.
If everything has been performed correctly, you will see that the "Accounting package customer number" column has been populated with regard to all your invoices. If this is not the case everywhere, compare that customer with the Excel file that you exported. If the customer is not present there, the customer will simply be created in Exact during the next synchronization.
The actual connection with Teamleader
In Teamleader, click your name at the top on the right and select Integrations, Accounting and Exact Online. Connect your account and, next, select the department that you want to connect. Log in and connect the 2 journals to the invoices and credit notes. Here you can also choose to import all companies and contacts from within Exact. Enter the start date of the synchronization and hit save.
Next, you must still link a few issues between Teamleader and Exact. Most important here is linking the VAT rates. The VAT rates selected in Exact always need to be of the type ‘Exclusive”, since Teamleader always synchronises the total amount without VAT.
Besides that, your can set an account to post (commercial) discounts and possibly set certain accounts to be suggested automatically when using specific VAT rates (the latter is optional). We advise setting the automatic synchronization only after the connection has been successfully established.
First click “Invoices" in the navigation to synchronize. You will see that a synchronization symbol is now being displayed at the top on the right. If you click it, the synchronization with Exact Online will be executed. After a while you will see a notification with the results of the synchronization. If you experience any problems, first check these notifications. The synchronization entails both the synchronization of customers who have invoices or credit notes and the (imported) invoices and credit notes themselves.
When entries are reconciled in Exact, the corresponding invoices in Teamleader will be set as paid.
Once everything is properly set, you can set the synchronization of customers and invoices to run automatically. In any case, the synchronization of payments of invoices will run automatically in the background. You can also specify that you want to receive a notification when an invoice is set as paid in this way.
Customer support service by UserEcho