You cannot directly copy a project but you can save a project as template.
How can I create my project template?
In order to do so, go to the project you would like to “copy” and click on the arrow at the very top of the page and choose “Save as template”.
You then get to see a pop-up where you can name the template and you have the choice to either include the tasks in the template or not. If you opt against it, the milestones will still be saved but without the connected tasks.
- The basic project then serves as a template for other projects and should therefore not be changed anymore. If you edit the original project and then create a new project out of the template, the changes will be taken into account automatically. Older projects from the same template will not be affected by this.
- The tasks within the template project will also appear on your and your colleagues dashboard. In order to avoid a chaotic overview due to tasks of a project which only serves as a template, you need to finish those tasks once so that they do not appear on your dashboards anymore. However, do not delete the tasks as they then would also be deleted from the template.
Therefore, we highly discourage to use the template project as a regular project.
How can I use my project template?
When you then create a new project, you will have the option to choose this project template.
What will be taken over from the template to the new project?
- The names of the milestones
- The time frame of the milestones, as in how much time there is in between them, and the according dependencies: you can choose a start date or an end-date and the milestones will be created accordingly.
- Budget distribution on the different milestones
- Invoice preferences of the milestones
- Tasks (depending on your choice): the task responsible remains the same as in the original template project. In case you prefer to have one responsible for all tasks, who then distributes the tasks as a second step, then you'll have to create a project with all tasks linked to that user and create a template out of the project.
Can I change my project template?
If you want to edit a template, then check here.
Can I delete a project template?
In case you want to delete a project template, then you go to Settings > Projects > Project templates and click on the bin next to the one you would like to delete.
This has no influence on the already existing projects but the template cannot be chosen anymore when you create a new project.
Customer support service by UserEcho