When working on a project, you'll mostly be dealing with two types of costs: internal and external.
For internal costs, you can group all timetracking, the time you and your colleagues spent working on a specific project. Want to know more about the different ways to track time on a project? Click here.
External costs are linked to external materials or expenses needed in order to complete the project. This could be rent for a venue, raw material for a construction site or something completely different. The types of external costs can be just as diverse as your projects. Find out how to add them, the influence on the budget and how to invoice them.
Adding external costs
- Navigate to "Projects" and click on the project in question
- Click on the arrow next to the project number > "Add external costs"
- Fill in the product you need. Either choose one of the products you saved in Teamleader or fill in an article manually. If you choose to use existing products, you could also use the slider "Use purchase price" under the name. This allows you to specify whether you wish to use the purchase price of your products by default or not.
- Specify the project (first dropdown after VAT rate) and the milestone (second dropdown after VAT rate)
- Decide whether you want to create an order as well by setting the slider next to "Create order as a PDF" on "Yes". For more information on the order workflow, click here.
- Click "Save".
- The external costs are added and are shown in a separate field under "Invoices" in the project page.
Editing/Deleting external costs
- Navigate to the project in question and scroll to "External costs".
- Hover over the specific costs and click on the pencil or the bin to edit or delete the external cost respectively.
External costs in the project budget
- The external costs are of course part of your project budget, which is why you'll also have to deduct them from that budget. In the roadmap, you'll see that the external costs are also deducted, and displayed in a blue colour. Internal costs are displayed in green. This gives you a clear idea of how big a share of your budget is being used for which costs.
- The sum of external costs can also be monitored in the general overview of your projects.
- Navigate to "Projects"
- Click on the cogwheel at the bottom of the projects overview
- Add the column "External budget spent".
Invoicing external costs
- Ensure that the invoicing settings of the milestone you would like to invoice are set on "Time & Material". In order to check those settings, click on the pencil in order to edit a milestone.
- Go to "Invoices" > Click on "+"-sign
- Select "Invoicing based on milestone" as type
- Choose the milestone you would like to invoice
- Click on "Go"
- Internal and external costs are invoiced together and will be shown as separate positions on your invoice grouped under the right milestone.