Teamleader’s project planning module offers a high-level overview of all currently active projects. It allows you to schedule your co-workers' agenda and helps you deliver projects on time. Read on to find out how to use the project planning module.
In this article, you will find out more about:
- Getting started with Project planning
- Difference between the tabs "Planning" and "People"
- Some explanation on colours and symbols
- Project planning workflow
Getting started with Project planning
- Navigate to Projects.
- Click Planning in the bar on top.
- After an initial sync, you will find all active projects in this overview.
Note: The initial sync depends on the number of active projects in your Teamleader account.
Difference between the tabs "Planning" and "People"
The project planning module makes a distinction between projects and people.
The ‘Planning’ tab gives you an overview of all active projects that quickly shows the status of different projects. A red mark indicates one or more phases are overdue. A green mark indicates the project is on schedule.
In this tab you can open a project to see who is participating. It also indicates if participants are already working on the project (green or orange), if they have some spare time (white space) or if they are already working on other tasks for other projects or non-project related (grey).
The ‘People’ tab shows you how much time your team members have left. You'll see immediately who has time to work on tasks and who is overplanned. This allows you to quickly intervene when necessary. It keeps both your customers and your co-workers happy!
In this tab, when you click on a name of a co-worker, it shows you the projects he or she’s working on and how much time per project is spent.
Some explanation on colours and symbols
Project traffic lights
Green: you're completely on track with your project. No phases are overdue and nothing is overplanned.
Red: you have an issue somewhere. One or more phases are overdue and haven't been finished in time. In the project details, you'll see a red flag as well.
White: there's still room for tasks on this day.
Gray: there's already something planned on this day that is not related to the project you're currently looking at.
Green: you've planned a task related to the project on this day but without overplanning anything.
Orange: a task was planned in the schedule of the co-worker, but it takes up more time than he or she actually has left on that day.
Next to the project name as well as the name of a co-worker you'll see a symbol of a list. Clicking this will open the entire task list of the project or the list of the tasks linked to a co-worker respectively.
Project planning workflow
- Create a project plus phase(s).
- Create tasks within this phase(s).
- Navigate to Projects > Planning.
- Here you see all currently active projects.
- Decide whether you want to work with the planning tab or with the people tab. See above for additional information.
- Click on the list symbol next to the project or the colleague (depending on the tab).
- You then see a screen at the right, showing either all the tasks linked to a certain project (planning tab) or all the tasks assigned to a co-worker (people tab).
Easily drag and drop tasks on the planning of a co-worker. If a task takes up more time than one day, it's possible to schedule the task over multiple days.
For example: A task takes 16 hours, but a working day only counts 8 hours, Teamleader will then propose to plan it over the course of 2 days. If you want to, you can overrule this proposal and plan the complete task on one day. This will lead to the overplanning of a co-worker.
After you’ve planned all the tasks to your liking, it’s up to your team members to schedule the tasks in their planning. The tasks are only planned for the different co-workers, they are not scheduled in the agendas for a specific time frame.
- When he or she goes to their day view, they’ll see their 'to do list' for this day.
- All tasks related to the projects they’re working on and that have been planned by the project planner will be visible in here. Your team member has the possibility to check them off immediately or to click and drag them into the daily schedule.