There are two ways to create a credit note in Teamleader: creating a credit note from scratch and creating a credit note from an existing invoice. Follow the steps in this article to learn more!
Create a credit note from scratch
- Go to Invoices
- Select the tab Credit notes
- Click on Add credit note
- Fill in the necessary information
- Click on Save
Important notes when creating this 'separate' (= not linked to an invoice) credit note:
- It's not possible to link a separate credit note to an already existing invoice in Teamleader by filling out the number of that invoice here. In order to do that, you'll need to follow the steps described below ("Create a credit note from an existing invoice in Teamleader"). If you fill out a number, there will only be a textual reference to the invoice number and not a functional one.
- If you fill in a date after the date of your first invoice in Teamleader, Teamleader will give you this error message: "You can only make credit notes without an invoice if the invoice date is before the date of the first invoice in Teamleader." Say your first invoice in Teamleader was on 01/01/2018 for example, then you can only create separate credit notes prior to that date.
Create a credit note from an existing invoice in Teamleader
- Go to Invoices and select the invoice you want to create a credit note for.
- Choose "Credit note" at the bottom of the top left box.
- You will now see different items as they are listed on the invoice. Credit the entire invoice or delete items by clicking on the bin on the right if you only want to credit part of the invoice.
4. Click "Save" to add the credit note to the invoice.
View the credit note
Want to have a look at the credit note? Go to the respective company or contact in your CRM and scroll down to "Invoices/Credit notes".
If you'd like to view your credit note as a PDF file, open the credit note and select the PDF icon in the top left corner to download the file. Here, the invoice reference will also be mentioned on the credit note
Send your credit note to customers
When you open the credit note, choose "Send" on the bottom of the top left box. You will have 3 options for sending the credit note:
- Via email
- Via postal service