The integration with the Exact Online bookkeeping tool is an in-depth one. Just as the connections with other bookkeeping software, such as Octopus, Twinfield and Yuki, both payment data and contacts synchronise between Teamleader and Exact Online.
The connection with Exact Online entails that invoices and credit notes from Teamleader will be exported to Exact Online to take care of the bookkeeping in this separate tool. With that purpose in mind, customers linked to these invoices will first be exported to Exact Online. If an invoice is reconciled in Exact Online, this is set as 'paid' in Teamleader. In Exact Online you manage your ledger accounts: for each synchronisation they are retrieved from there.
Depending on your situation, you must follow one of the following 3 scenarios before you can actually start connecting Exact Online to Teamleader.
A. My Exact account is empty (and my Teamleader account is or is not empty)
If your Exact Online account does not contain any data yet, you must first set a few things:
- Create fiscal years (period/date table).
- Create a journal for invoices.
- Create a journal for credit notes (different from the invoice journal).
- Define ledger accounts.
All these things can be found by clicking on your company name at the top right and selecting ‘Master data’. You can find the settings under the ‘Financial’ section. We go further into detail on creating a journal below.
The journals must be of the type ‘Sales’ as Teamleader can only save documents of this type of journal. When creating a journal, you must also enter a ledger account. Connect this account with a revenue account.
With each synchronization all revenue accounts are loaded from Exact into Teamleader. Therefore, you are managing accounts from within Exact. If you do not use the accounts, you can just create a default account and use this account for all invoice lines.
B. My Teamleader account is empty and my Exact account contains my customer database
While making the connection, you can very quickly and easily import your customer database into Teamleader by selecting the ‘Import companies from Exact Online’ slider! You can immediately start making the actual connection following these steps. No further preparation is needed.
C. Both my Teamleader account and my Exact account contain my customer database
If you have a customer database in both Exact and Teamleader, the import is somewhat more complex. In order to prevent double entries of companies in Exact, all companies must first be imported into Teamleader. This is done by importing through the ‘Import companies from Exact Online’ slider that appears while making the actual connection. This is explained in the third step of making the actual connection.
After importing, it is likely to have many duplicates of customers in Teamleader. To prevent this, it’s best to turn on the ‘Accounting package customer number’ column in your Teamleader account to see which customers have an Exact ID and which do not. This column is also available for the invoices.
You can now merge the double entries manually or automatically in Teamleader:
- Manually: Enter the name of a company and if there are 2 results, select Merge under ‘Actions’. You can also choose to merge through the details page of a company (under the small arrow at the top). Teamleader will automatically merge all fields, including the customer number. If there’s a conflict, you will get the option to select 1 of the 2 values.
- Automatically: If there are more than 50 duplicate records, it is often worth the trouble to merge automatically using the following (more complex) method: with the merging mechanism built into our Excel or CSV import you can merge the companies automatically and then merge the remaining companies (of which the name, for example, differs slightly) manually. Achieve this by following the following steps:
- Create a segment that contains all of the companies you just imported. All companies that were imported have automatically been given an ‘Exact Online Import’ tag so it is better to create a segment with the rule ‘Tags contain Exact Online Import’. You can find a guide on making tags here.
- Export this segment to Excel.
- In Teamleader, perform the bulk action ‘Delete’ on this segment: this will again delete all companies.
- Delete the unnecessary columns from the Excel file to avoid any older data from Exact overwriting more recent data from Teamleader. The necessary columns are ‘Name” and ‘Bookkeeping customer ID’ and we strongly advise importing the VAT number as well.
- You can save the Excel file and import it through our import tool. Again, therefore only the ‘Name’, ‘Bookkeeping customer ID’ and ‘VAT number’ fields are needed.
- If Teamleader asks for a criterion for merging, you can do this on the basis of the name (if the name rarely differs) or on the basis of a VAT number (if most of the VAT numbers are entered). You can try different criteria and see how many new companies will be added through the preview function. We want this number to be as low as possible.
- Import the data. (Note: the field 'Bookkeeping customer ID' is not available by default, please contact support to activate this field for the import.)
- All edited companies are companies that have now been given the correct customer number.
- All added companies are companies that could not be matched. You will have to go through these manually and merge them, as we described earlier.
If everything has been performed correctly, you will see that the ‘Bookkeeping customer ID’ column has been populated with regard to all your invoices. If this is not everywhere the case, compare that customer with the Excel file you exported. If the customer is not present there, the customer will simply be created in Exact during the next synchronization.